Gowerton RFC | Under 15s 52 - 0 Maesteg RFC | Under 15s
Jake Mann
Try 1
Troy Davies
Try 1
Louis Davies
Conversion 5
Brandon Jones
Conversion 1
Try 2
Ieuan Sleeman
Try 2
Cameron Jones
Try 1

Match Report
14 September 2017 / Team News

Gowerton U15's v Maesteg Welsh - Ospreys Cup off to a flyer!

Yet another unseasonable Sunday in ealry September brought wind and lashing rain across the Gowerton pitch and you could cut the tension with a knife as the young starch played their first ever competitive game for the club.  Maesteg came with plenty of numbers and supporters so a tight game was anticipated.  We played against the wind first half and both teams started brightly despite the conditions.  Maesteg used the wind to their advantage but we looked dangerous with ball in hand.  On 9 minutes No. 8 Cameron Jones made a nice break into their half which was followed up by another break from the resulting ruck by scrum half Brandon Jones who put winger Ieuan Sleeman over for a try between the corner and the posts.  The conversion was missed against a howling wind. 5-0.  Some nice interplay between forwards and backs so us deep into their 22 and from a ruck on the line, Brandon Jones dived over for an easy score.  Conversion was successful by outside half Louis Davies and we lead 12-0 after 16 minutes play.  Shortly after the re-start we made another grat run into Maesteg territory which nearly lead to Brandon's second try, however the ball spurted out for a tackle only for replacement Jake Mann to pick up and touch down with his first touch of the ball.  Louis Davies converted to make it 19-0 after 20 minutes play.  No further scores were made as the weather made running rugby difficult to achieve.  Half time score 19-0.

The second half started brightly and with the wind at our backs we pushed Maesteg deep into their half.  After just 3 minutes skipper Sam Terry darted through some weak tackles to score a try which Louis Davies converted, 26-0.  Three minutes later a neat break by fullback Steff Richards set up Ieuan Sleeman to canter over for his second of the game and with Louis Davies converting once more we lead 33-0 after just 6 minutes of the second half.  Maesteg made some forced changes due to injuries but it didn't seem to change a lot as Gowerton kept on attacking and piling pressure on the Maesteg scrum which had been creaking from the off.  On 16 minutes Cameron Jones scored from a ruck close to the line, the conversion was missed, 38-0,  On 22 minutes Brandon Jones picked up his second of the match with a nice try under the posts which he converted himself to make it 45-0.  Just befoer the final whistle flanker Troy Davies picked up a loose ball in his own half and ran unopposed for 60m to score under the posts which was converted by Louis Davies to make it 52-0.  This ended up being the last play of the match.  The whole squad played fantastically and set a benchmark for the rest of the tournament and with away games against Tondu and Tonmawr coming up in the next month, if they can repeat this sort of performance there's no reason why we can't top our group.

Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos