Gowerton RFC | Under 15s 36 - 10 Bridgend Athletic RFC | Under 15s
Cameron Jones
Try 2
Matthew Davies
Try 1
Brandon Jones
Try 2
Scott Cornelius
Try 1
Louis Davies
Conversion 2
Alex Hughes
Conversion 1

Match Report
02 May 2018 / Team News


We finally got round to playing our Ospreys Cup Semi Final against Bridgend Athletic at a sunny but cold Bae Baglan 4G pitch.  The boys seemed focused and ready for the game and we played into the wind first half.  The early action was fairly even with both teams attempting to run the ball but not gaining vast amounts of territory.  The deadlock was broken after 10 minutes when No. 8 Cameron Jones picked up the ball from a ruck close to the Bridgend line and dived over, the conversion was missed, 5-0.  Bridgend forwards started looking dangerous especially the back row who were big and strong and took some taking down.  Several times they looked like scoring only for a handling error and our stout defence that kept them out.  With the first half coming towards it's close we managed to secure our second try when scrum half Brandon Jones finished off a fine backs move to dive over near the posts. .  The simple conversion by No. 10 Louis Davies took the score to 12-0 at the interval.  With a strong wind in our faces the boys and coaching staff were happy to go in ahead.

The second half saw some changes off the bench and some positional changes too.  On 5 mins a well worked move saw the ball spun out along the line and an overlap saw winger Scott Cornelius go over in the corner.  The conversion was missed, 17-0.  Gowerton could sense the pressure was telling on the opposition and started to play some lovely rugby and expose gaps in the Bridgend defence.  On 10 minutes another swift backs move saw the ball deep in the opposition 22 and from the resulting ruck, we went close to scoring but under a heap of players the referree awarded us the try and Brandon Jones was to emerge with the ball in hand for the try.  Conversion was missed, 22-0.  Bridgend kept on trying and got their reward when they went over for a try after 15 minutes, conversion missed 22-5.  On 17 minutes a kick downfield saw Bridgend's fullback make a hash of collecting the ball and from the resulting scrum, Cameron Jones picked up and dived over for his second of the game.  No. 10 Alex Hughes converted to make it 29-5.  The try of the game came on 23 minutes when a well worked move saw the ball come out into the back line and some lovely running by centre Gregor Devine and full back Sam Cartwright saw winger Matthew Davies dive over in the corner.  A fantasic conversion by Louis Davies made it 36-5.  With only a few minutes left of play, Bridgend managed to cross for a consolation try and the conversion was missed to make it 36-10.  The referee blew for full time and the boys had done it.  Through to the Ospreys Cup Final after winning all 5 cup games so far against Maesteg Welsh (52-0), Tonmawr (20-17), Tondu (40-15) and Briton Ferry (45-17).  We now take on Pontardawe at Llandarcy on Sunday May 20th at 12pm.  Supporters buses will be available for all wanting to go up.


Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos